Friday, October 31, 2014

Favorite Halloween Candy (+ a Recipe!)

I have many fond memories of trick or treating as a child (okay, into my late college years…sorry neighbors, just could not give up the dream). My two best friends from elementary school and I were so excited to fill up our pillow cases in various neighborhoods (but made note to skip the house on my block that gave out tooth brushes…really?) 

I always looked most forward to Reese's PB Cups (in the pumpkin shape, please), Whoppers and Nestle Crunch Bars. Give me an Almond Joy or a Mounds and it was time for a trade! 


Now that I’m a (semi) adult with my own house, I look forward to being the candy giver instead of receiver. Like most, I am typically left with much more candy than can be (or SHOULD be) consumer by my husband and I so here is a great recipe from Lauren Conrad for putting that extra candy to good use and sharing with my co-workers.


Tricks & Treats Bars

Ingredients

·         2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
·         1 teaspoon baking soda
·         ½ teaspoon of sea salt (plus more for sprinkling on top)
·         2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
·         1 ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
·         ¼ cup granulated sugar
·         1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
·         2 teaspoons vanilla extract
·         1 ½ cup roughly chopped leftover Halloween candy of your choice

Instructions

1.   Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
2.   Then, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk butter and remove from heat as soon as the butter begins to brown. Transfer the butter to a bowl to prevent burning. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
3.   Beat the butter and sugars until thoroughly blended, for about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients slowly and beat on low-speed just until combined.
4.   Press your dough into a greased and parchment lined 9’ x 13’ pan. Add the chopped candy on top and bake until lightly golden on top, about 20 minutes.
5.   Let cool and cut into bars.


What was your favorite treat to get as a kid?

1 comment:

  1. excellent idea for using up the candies! i love reese's pb cups, too, but also love twix.

    ReplyDelete