Friday, March 17, 2017

How to Make an Iced Lavender Latte

Happy Friday! And St. Patricks Day...most of our celebrations were last week but if you're still going green today, get your healthy Shamrock Shake fix here!
 
GUYS, I am SO excited to share a new iced coffee recipe with you that I have been DYING to make at home for so long! I recently wrote about 5 of my favorite Midwest coffee spots including Brew Point which is where I tried my first iced lavender honey latte. It was so good that I thought about it for weeks...no months, afterwards. How can a simple drink make you so happy, you ask? Just wait until you try it yourself...Unless you don't like lavender but that also probably means you're the kind of person who hates puppies - both things are just impossible ;) So if you're skeptical, don't close your mind just yet!


I don't know why I waited so long to recreate this drink because it was so simple to do...probably because dried lavender petals aren't the easiest to come by. I get mine from Fresh Thyme Market because fresh lavender syrup is the key here. You could order a version of it online but it does taste better when it's homemade and more than that, it's actually kind of fun to whip it up yourself. Once you have some made, you will most likely have enough to use in various drinks throughout the week (a hot latte or lemonade would both be perfect!). Because this is an overly powerful scent & taste, you just need a TINY BIT or else it will pretty much taste like you're drinking flowers -- not what we're going for here :)


    YOU NEED:

 1/4 cup fresh lavender petals
3 tbsp honey
1 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Your choice of cold coffee


 *Sidenote: You could make your own coffee concentrate (easy recipe here) but to save time, I like to store a bottle of pre-made cold brew in my fridge. I typically buy a 48 oz container of Starbucks unsweetened iced coffee but this time around, I used Chameleon Brew.




  DIRECTIONS:
 
To make the lavender simple syrup, add the lavender, sugar, honey and water to a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool.

Fill a cup with ice, add about 2 tbsp of lavender syrup for 1 cup of coffee. Top it off with some milk (I use Califia Farms Toasted Coconut) and you’ve got yourself a slightly sweet lavender latte.







How do you feel about adding lavender in your coffee routine?
It's so nice for Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment