Friday, November 14, 2014

Thanksgiving Traditions and Decor

My husband and I are hosting Thanksgiving for the second time in a few weeks and with last year under our belts, I feel much more confident in our duties and the flow of the day this time around. I am starting to love that this is becoming a tradition, as it feels special to host such a momentous holiday that everybody looks forward to all year long. 

Last Year's Table Setting

Speaking of traditions, that's one of my favorite things about this time of year. It makes me feel so good to know that families come together all over the world to celebrate the same notion, the blessing of the harvest and the preceding year. Traditions makes the anticipation of the holidays so exciting, as we look forward to revisiting our best memories each year - #SistersMarie (Tweet this!)

Here's a few of our favorites:

Myself: If there’s one thing my family and husband knows to be true, it’s that our traditions are ingrained in me and I am true to them through and through. I always looked forward to the morning of Thanksgiving because I would wake up to smell of my Mom's delicious cooking (which she already been at for hours) and she would make hot chocolate from scratch (in Macy's Day mugs) for the four of us in anticipation of the Parade - the boys didn't care about the show much but she and I were glued to the TV, just waiting for the eleventh hour when Santa would arrive. Though I'm almost 28 years old, I still make sure not to miss this moment because for me, it signals the start of the season. Age is just a number, my friends.

Lisa: Thanksgiving is a holiday that changes yearly for our family. It's a day I spent as a young kid with my step-dad's side. As I got older, my dad's side starting celebrating together because it was so difficult to see everyone at Christmas. My favorite tradition has always been one we do when my aunt hosts Thanksgiving. Each year before we eat, we each stand and take turns saying what we were thankful for over the past year. This is something we still do when I see them and it is really great hearing what everyone has been through and is thankful for in their lives. Plus, it's really cute to hear what all the kids say, now that most of my cousins have kids too!

Each year we alternate which party we will go to making it more special as we don't have to race to multiple parties on this day. Last year we were at Kaitlyn's house (which was a BEAUTIFUL party!), so this year we will be with my Dad's side.

It is for sure difficult to find the balance when you have a larger family, but this holiday is always so much fun wherever we end up! And of course we watch the parade too because my kids literally scream when they see Santa coming. Okay, maybe I do too because that means it's fine for me to have my Christmas decor up now (even though it's probably been up for weeks by this time)! ;)

As this years hosts, I have been on the hunt for easy DIY projects for our table settings.

Here are a few of my Pinterest favorites:








What are you doing for Thanksgiving this year? What is your favorite tradition?

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautifully written blog sharing our sentiments exactly! XO

    ReplyDelete