Monday, March 7, 2016

Book Chat: A Dark Dark Wood

“I hate being driven - driving is like karaoke...your own is epic, other people’s is just embarrassing or alarming.” 

― Ruth WareIn a Dark, Dark Wood



Beingthe latest pick for my book club, I decided to dive right into this one because not only is the genre right up my alley (mystery/thriller) but the plot sounded intriguing: The story takes place at a remote English country house where a group of 20-somethings have gathered for a "hen" (AKA a British Bachelorette party). Nora, a reclusive write, receives an invitation to a the party which is in honor of her best friend from high school, who she hasn’t seen in 10 years...By the way, can you imagine? That's pretty awkward! To make things even more stiff, there's really nothing fun about this party because not to far in, Nora wakes up in a hospital, bloodied and unconscious...After waking up she wonders,“What have I done?” so as readers, we spend the rest of the book reliving the party as she tries to remember what happened.

The book reminded me a bit of the show Pretty Little Liars... I only watched a few episodes when it started (RIP #abcfamily) but the whodunit theme revolving around young, (albeit, semi-spoiled) beautiful girls (and guys) at the heart of it is very similar to the book. The characters seemed a bit immature and one dimensional and if I'm not invested in the characters backgrounds from the get go, it's hard for me to stay connected. However, the story overall was entertaining, I just would have preferred it to feel a little less PG-13, a little more R...Perhaps the movie will be? Looks like Reese is going to be the lead lady in another book to movie debut! 

If you have read it, let me know what you thought...Also, I'm always looking for new book suggestions so if you have a recent favorite, please share! Our next book chat will be a particularly cool one as the author is a local Chicago gal. In addition to sharing our review, we'll also be featuring an interview with Emily...Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment