Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Baking with Lavender


I have yoga to thank for many things in my life including stress relief, toning and a sense of balance (both on the mat and off). Among many other life-changing qualities, it has also introduced me to one of my favorite scents, the lovely smell of lavender. When I first started practicing with the girls at home, my yoga certified girlfriend introduced the essential oil as part of our savasana and I found it to be very calming so I purchased my own. Then I started going to Yoga by Degrees where each class ends with a cool peppermint/lavender towel and I’m not exaggerating when I say, I think about it during the entire class! I literally engulf my face at the end, inhaling as much as I can. It’s the ultimate way to balance out after an hour spent doing yoga and cardio in a 95-degree room.

And now in addition to making my nose happy, lavender has found its way to pleasing my belly. When I saw the Tone it Up recipe for "Honey Lavender Breakfast Muffins," I could taste them already. Not to mention, they are full of healthy ingredients...I'm not just saying that, take a look at what's included...


Ingredients:

1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup vanilla protein
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp edible lavender flowers << my favorite part! 
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon zest 
1 tbsp honey
2 eggs

This recipe makes 6 muffins so I doubled it the first time I made them and shared some with my yoga loving ladies. I should mention, they may not be for everyone...My Dad came over one day to let our pup out and I got a text at work: "Tried a muffin. Needs cream cheese frosting." -- Needless to say, they are NOT cupcakes nor are they supposed to taste like it. These are meant to grab on the go in the morning for a healthy burst of energy instead of chowing on a pop-tart or Donut.


*Tip 1- The second time I made them, I threw in some shredded coconut which was a great addition...but isn't it always?

*Tip 2 - I purchased my edible lavender flowers at our Fresh Thyme Market. Ask around at your local grocery stories or farmers markets...You can also buy them on Amazon. No surprise there! :)

BONUS SMOOTHIE RECIPE!

In addition to the muffins, I have been making a breakfast smoothie each day and this "Blueberry Bombshell" recipe is my new favorite! At first, I didn't think the combination sounded appetizing but much to my surprise, it's delicious! 

Ingredients:

1/2 cup frozen banana slices
1/2 cup blueberries
1 scoop vanilla protein
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa nibs
1 cup unsweetened almond milk


Have you ever baked with lavender?
If you have any recipes, I'd love to hear them!


No comments:

Post a Comment