Monday, September 19, 2016

Distressed, Not Stressed Weekends


Come Saturday and Sunday, I can be found running around town in a version of this look: Distressed jeans, a flowy top and an oversized top knot, my preferred weekend uniform. Any combination of this makes me feel put together yet relaxed, the perfect mood to engage in my favorite weekend activities...waking up with iced coffee, stopping by the Farmer's Market for flowers and scones and dining al fresco for date night with my husband. However...the majority of this (GORGEOUS!) Sunday was actually spent indoors, being productive in a much different way: Spending 6 hours painting our basement...a task we have been putting off for months so I can say, having a finished product makes us feel pretty damn good. 

A little backstory: When we bought our house 3 years ago, it was move-in ready. Everything had been updated and the previous owners had done gorgeous work so we felt so lucky not to be dealing with remodeling in our first years of marriage...but nothing lasts forever, right? Late last year, we had a small leak in our foundation so we had to pull up a minimal section of the laminate flooring...and needless to say, we didn't do it very carefully, so what started as a very small issue eventually landed us here: Replacing the entire floor (note, the basement is HUGE!). You should have seen my face when my husband told me we would have to start all over. After wallowing and mourning our beautiful flooring for a few months, we decided to appreciate this situation as an opportunity to design the room through our own eyes and design it from scratch. So after ENDLESS trips to Home Depot, 3 months of essentially staring at two different laminate colors (because we couldn't make up our minds!) and finally picking a paint to match (there are too many versions of gray!)...we have made some progress!


I was a little disappointed about "wasting" a weekend like this indoors but as my husband reminded me, this is a race against time and we're almost out. We host Thanksgiving for 30 people in our basement every year and with a busy 2 months on the horizon, we no longer have the luxury of delaying the task. "Sometimes, you just have to adult," he said. Without him, I would probably succumb to my irresponsible game plans way more often and now that the weekend has passed, I can officially say my worries about missing time in the sun turned into something just as memorable. We completed our first big home project together and celebrated at our favorite wine bar to cap it off.

Can't wait to show you guys the finished product! Stay tuned...


P.S. My collection of distressed jeans continues to grow and this pair from JAG Jeans is currently topping the list. The brand is Seattle-based (like their partner, Fitcode -- another one of our loves) and are obsessed with the right fit, style, and comfort. They are responsible for the recent return of the "pull-on" trend which they actually make look flattering, but this time around, I went with a "normal" waistband, as I have an undeniable obsession with distressed denim :) I normally wear a size 4-6 in jeans and the team at JAG assured me that based on how these fit, a 4 would be just right...and guess what? They are perfect. These guys know their stuff :)





What did you do this weekend?
How did you make it memorable?

Wearing:

Top: Old Navy (similar)
Cardigan: Old Navy
Jeans: c/o JAG - Recommended by Fitcode
Shoes: Target
Bag: c/o Sole Society
Sunnies: H&M

No comments:

Post a Comment