Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Home Away From Home

 
Since we got married, my husband and I have talked incessantly about getting a dog – we’ve spent way too much time in pet stores playing with puppies just to satisfy our furry frenzy, not mention stalking dog rescue sites by the day. We plan finally adopt one this summer, but one of my concerns is leaving a dog home alone all day so it was great timing when we were contacted by DogVacay, a company who provides a safe home away from home when you’re in need of pooch patrol.

The team at DogVacay asked me to share about my “home away from home,” some place that still provides that feeling of comfort and happiness.

 My home away from home is coincidentally my second home, our lake house in Wisconsin. My family purchased this house when I was 12 years old so at the time, my friends and (ever-changing list) of boy crushes took precedence in my life, so I remember having a huge case of #FOMO the first year or so we spent weekends there (looking back, I didn't realize how good I had it to be spending time there).


I should also mention that our house there is located in the woods and the previous home owners had left a few windows open during the selling process, so you can imagine the kinds of wildlife and critters that took advantage of that opportunity – if you know me, you know this is NOT something I handle with grace…there may or may not have been a few nights spent with eyes wide open to ensure the ladybugs didn’t get cozy with me :)

With all that said, it’s funny how feelings can transform over the years and what a special place the house now holds in my heart. It is my favorite place to spend our time and we have created such wonderful memories there for our family and those close to us.  Some of my favorite times include:

Winter nights by the fireplace with a deer outside your window and Baileys in your cup 

The annual 4th of July party (and parade!)


The hours spent together re-telling funny stories 

Sister bonding time outside of work (1 & 2)

Visits to the best location on the lake


Game nights followed with S’mores by the fire

Catching rays on the boat


An atmosphere that allows EVERYBODY to relax ;)

I am blessed to have a place where we can escape from life’s stresses but more so, I have come to realize that home is not about where, but who. I am so lucky to share it with the family I call mine (oh, and those sunsets that I can't get enough of)...




What do you consider your "home away from home?" See what others had to say by searching #HAFH2014 on Twitter and Instagram!

2 comments:

  1. this is nice, i enjoy reading this post....i wish we have a home away from home too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely tribute and we are truly blessed xoxo

    ReplyDelete