Monday, September 22, 2014

Words that Inspire

Sometimes you come across a quote that hits you like a ton of bricks. The composition of words, the tone of voice and the meaning behind the letters impact you forever, leaving you feeling like you couldn't have said it better yourself. That's exactly how I felt when I first read "Song for the Special" by Marina Keegan. I came across this standout piece two years ago in a mix of irrelevant chaos in my news feed and printed out a copy immediately, which I still have sitting on my desk at home.

Even more moving than her writing is her story: While an undergraduate at Yale, Keegan was a frequent contributor to the Yale DailyNews and had landed a job at The New Yorker as an editorial assistant post-graduation. However, her life was tragically cut short in a car accident days after her graduation. Anne Fadiman, Keegan's writing professor at Yale and also the editor of The Opposite of Loneliness, said this about her former student: “Every aspect of her life was a way of answering that question: how do you find meaning in your life?" and that's what I love so much about her writing...It's thought provoking, honest, and memorable.

Here are just a few excerpts from Keegan:



And my absolute favorite...

Do you ever come across a quote that sticks with you forever? 

Please share some of your favorites with us in the comments.



1 comment:

  1. I remember reading about Marina Keegan and feeling sad the world had lost her voice. It's wonderful you have highlighted some of her words today. So inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete