Friday, December 4, 2015

Book Chat: 10 Quotes by Mindy Kaling

As a huge fan of The Office (Jim & Pam: #RelationshipGoals), I spent 9 seasons watching Kelly, the character, crack timely one-liners and annoy the hell out of Ryan but I didn’t know much about Mindy, the person. I’ve seen a few commercials for The Mindy Project and always thought she looked well-dressed at award shows but it wasn’t until I read an interview with her in Glamour and ended up saving it because I liked so many of the quotes. 

At that point in time, it was necessary to get more Mindy in my life so I started with her first book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)." In a book of short essays with titles like, "Why Do Men Put on Their Shoes So Slowly?" and "In Defense of Chest Hair," it's hard to read without a smile on your face. Not only is she unfailingly funny but I also love the fact that she is completely honest about all her misgivings and actually even embraces them. 



The book was exactly what I was hoping for. Instead of it being a thriller or sob story, it felt very comforting, like sitting at a coffee house with a new friend who you've just deemed your BFF. Mindy is definitely a girl boss...here's 10 quotes that will help you understand why:


1.     “Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched.” 

2.     “Even in my revenge fantasy where all I do is exercise, I can still do only twenty-five pull-ups. Pull-ups are tough, no joke.” 

3.     “Maybe the point is that any marriage is work, but you may as well pick work that you like.”

4.     “I will leave you with one last piece of advice, which is: If you’ve got it, flaunt it. And if you don’t got it? Flaunt it. ’Cause what are we even doing here if we’re not flaunting it?” 

5.     "I’m thirty-two and I fully feel like an adult. Sure, sometimes I miss wearing Hello Kitty jewelry or ironic T-shirts from Urban Outfitters on occasion. Who doesn’t? I don’t, because I think it would seem kind of pitiful. But a guy at thirty-two – he can act and dress like a grown man or a thirteen-year-old boy, and both are totally acceptable. Not to me, but to most people."

6.     “I’m only marginally qualified to be giving advice at all. My body mass index is certainly not ideal, I frequently use my debit card to buy things that cost less than three dollars because I never have cash on me, and my bedroom is so untidy it looks like vandals ransacked the Anthropologie Sale section. I’m kind of a mess.” 

7.     “One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about.” 

8.     “It makes me cry because it means that fewer and fewer people are believing it's cool to want what I want, which is to be married and have kids and love each other in a monogamous, long-lasting relationship.” 

9.     “If I’m at a party where I’m not enjoying myself, I will put some cookies in my jacket pocket and leave without saying good-bye.” 

10. “You might also see that some of my playlists are simply two songs on repeat fifteen times, like I’m a psycho getting pumped up to murder the president.” 


What are you currently reading? 
We would love suggestions for our next books!



No comments:

Post a Comment