Monday, May 8, 2017

Mom Monday; Postpartum Hair Loss

Let's talk about postpartum hair loss, shall we? This is one topic that I don't read a lot about and one that definitely applied to me after the birth of my children and well, to this day actually!  After each of my kids were born, my hair took a hard hit on both sides of the crown of my head. I know I'm not alone in this either. Why does no one talk about this? You will notice in the photos that when my hair is pulled back, I have these baby hairs on each side. 

 photo IMG_5274_zpsubsvwlxy.jpg

After my son, my hair literally broke off. I'm not even sure if it grew back or not before I had my daughter, two-and-a-half years later. At that time again, my hair went through major breakage and hair loss around the two sides of my forehead. I mean, what is that about anyway? Now for the cruel part.... It never grew back! Like ever. It has been six years since I gave birth last, and here is the current state of my hair breakage. And people wonder why I always have a center part or bangs.

 It's just short hair on the top of each side of my head. There (obviously) are worse things to happen to your hair, and ain't nobody got time to figure out breakage solutions when you have a newborn and a toddler! So until recently, I never thought much about it. Or much about fixing it that is. 

 photo earrings_zps8tagcibi.jpg

Here is more information about postpartum hair loss: (source

"After you give birth, your estrogen levels take a tumble and a lot more hair follicles enter the resting stage. Soon you'll have more hair coming out in the shower or on the brush. This unusual shedding will taper off and your hair will be back to its pre-pregnancy thickness about six to 12 months after you give birth." 

OK, so obviously it doesn't always grow back after the first year, but it's nice to know that it is quite common! I recently reviewed a hair growth product over on Stilettos and Diaper Bags, and for the first time in six years, my hair is actually growing back. How did I not think to do something about this issue? Honestly, I just thought it was one of the many perks to being a mother! 

SHOP HAIR GROWTH PRODUCTS:



With so many products out there now to help with this issue, there must be a lot of us fellow hair loss Mom's! Have a postpartum hair loss story to share? Let's chat below in the comments section! 

Thank you so much for stopping by the blog today! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment