Wednesday, April 6, 2016

More Midi, Please


I still love dressing up for Easter...When I was little, my Mom would make sure I was in my Sunday best for Church and dinner at Grandma's house. I remember a few times, being able to pick out a new dress (likely pastel and poofy) and I thought of it as such a fancy affair, a time to break out my best patent leather mary-janes. As a little girl, it was just customary to be decked out in femininity from head to toe including lace bonnets on the top and frilly socks on the bottom. 

As I've gotten older, I've noticed that Easter is among many of the other holidays or situations where the art of "dressing for the occasion" has fallen by the wayside. Church is filled with jeans, some even holey and barely held together. Traveling is now considered a prime time to wear your comfiest pj's instead of a sophisticated look you can transition from day to night. Remember when riding by plane or train used to look like this? It was a privilege to be riding either mode of transport and therefore demanded a certain level of class and style. At least I know Manny supports my feelings about how lackluster everyone has become when it comes to dressing down all the time.


Even though our Easter morning has become a bit more casual (typically spent with the Family in my Grandpa's backyard), I still maintain it's a special Holiday and calls for something a little more upscale than everyday wear. I'm all for dressing casual in the workplace (especially in my world of marketing and design), but if we lose the notion of dressing up for everything in life, I feel it would be too easy to become complacent. To me, your style is your way of silently showing the world how you are feeling so for the most part, I like to keep it positive, confident and relevant to the moment.







Do you dress up on Easter (if you celebrate) and for various holidays?
How do you feel about jeans in church and pj's on planes? I'd love to hear!

Wearing: 

Top: Forever 21 (similar, I love this one for Spring!)
Skirt: Target (old but similar here)
Jacket: J. Crew
Heels: c/o Sole Society
Purse: c/o Sole Society
Headband: Francesca's (similar)
Necklace: Forever 21
Sunnies: Illesteva via DITTO (Get your first pair free using code SISTERSMARIE)
Nail color: Azure Wish by CND Vinylux (new favorite kind...Lasted a week, no lamp needed!)


No comments:

Post a Comment