Wednesday, June 8, 2016

From Scars to a new Skincare Routine

It has been about 3.5 months since one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. Being attacked by a dog not only left physical scarring but emotional as well, both of which owe so much of their healing to the power of time. Prior to this incident, I never dedicated much time to perfecting my skincare routine, mostly because I had been blessed with relatively normal, clear skin. The biggest issues I dealt with were dry skin and a period-infused pimple every cycle, so nothing that couldn't be fixed with a good moisturizer and a side of chocolate cravings. However, since the bite on my face, I have become much more committed to protecting my skin.


Before & After: 

Face 2 days after stitches // Face after 3.5 months - Wearing light concealer & SPF

In addition to dry skin, I am now nurturing another sensitivity which is the leftover scarring that is trying to heal. Starting with my first Dr. visit after the incident, I was told over and over how imperative it is that I protect my scars from the sun, as any direct interaction with its harsh rays can permanently darken the scar's color, making them even more noticeable.

As a Summer lover and a true outdoors girl at heart, I've spent a lot of time in the sun over the years and only in the past few years have I come to terms with how important it is to use SPF, but now, it's not just important - it's urgent. It's sad that it took something like this to realize how vulnerable the outer-surface actually is but I like to think it's not too late to correct any previous errors I have made. These days, a strong SPF gets priority space in my purse alongside a good pair of sunglasses...now two of my best friends when it comes to venturing outside (along with a floppy or baseball hat for beach/boat time). In addition, I have also added a few new products to my skincare regimen that combat specific things I'm dealing with:

  • bioCorneum: When I asked my Dr. about his suggestions for scar treatment, he insisted I use this product and only this product, as there aren't strong enough results from over the counter products like Mederma and such. This is the 1st and only patented blend of silicone with SPF 30 cleared by the FDA. The application is quick and simple (apply twice a day) and it self-dries quickly to form an invisible, flexible silicone gel, preventing discoloration and flattening raised scars. I have been using it for over a month now and already see some great progress. In the "before" photo above, you can almost see the pain and sadness in my eyes (or at least I can) because I remember how I felt. My friends and Family are amazed with how well I've healed and while I agree, I'm the one living in my skin and without makeup, I know it's there. But the transformation has been much quicker than I anticipated and that is an enormous blessing.
  • GloTherapeutics Skincare products: You guys already know how much we love GloMinerals as we pretty much wear one of the suede matte lip colors in every post (which have never been sponsored, we're just obsessed). They probably just got tired of us tagging them in every photo and said, okay, let's just incorporate these two so we can finally shake em ;) 

But in all seriousness, we had known about their makeup products for awhile but weren't familiar with their skincare line so when they asked if we'd be up for collaborating, we jumped at the chance, especially since they were genuinely interested in what had happened to me and sending me products that would meet my needs. After assessing my situation, they determined the following would be best for my skin:
  • Conditioning Tonic
  • Conditioning Milk Cleanser
  • Conditioning hydration cream (great for dry skin!)
  • Restorative mask (which smells really good, P.S.)
I have been using this whole set for a week and my skin feels super soft. I think the mask is my favorite because not only does it smell awesome but it seems to have removed some of the dark spots from my face within the few days I've been using it at night. I love trying a full line of products from start to finish instead of piecing together various things that may not work well in combination.


How has your skincare routine changed over the years? Anyone else with battle wounds have things that have worked for them? Share with me in the comments, I'd love to hear!

Want to try these products for yourself?
>> Shop our Instagram here


No comments:

Post a Comment