Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Leather & Plaid


I love to explore on the weekends - Whether it's finding a new place for breakfast or just taking a drive to a different suburb to check out their downtown. Winnetka is one of my favorite stops around Christmas time because the houses are all decorated so beautifully and it's even better if there's a fresh layer of snow on the ground. As you know, my Mom and I have a tradition of visiting every year...it started with the first time we wanted to drive past the Home Alone house (one of our most-watched movies!) and we loved it so much that we made it an annual event...after our regular sighting of the McCallisters, we enjoy brunch at the smallest restaurant you've ever seen...seriously, if you're over 5'9", it would be hard to even fit inside and there's maybe 10 tables total. A big chalkboard serves as the menu with daily specials...Christmas pancakes, anyone? This means they are stuffed with orange zest and cranberries. FANTASTIC. It exudes charm and I love that we don't know anyone there...it almost makes us feel like we're on vacation. 




This year, we were driving and stumbled upon the most adorable, rustic barn along the side of the road. We both marveled at how perfectly quaint it was, decorated in simplicity with just one wreath and surrounded by a winter wonderland. We HAD to turn around...

Turns out, the barn is full of history. Actually, it's the Schmidt-Burnham Log House, to be exact. We found out the house is the oldest log structure in Cook County still in use and that it was most likely built in 1837 by early settlers in the area. It is also the only home in the area to be continuously occupied for nearly 165 years. Originally located on the grounds of Indian Hill Club, local artist and author, Anita Willets Burnham, “discovered” the log house while on a painting trip in the spring of 1914.  She purchased the home in 1917, relocated it to 1407 Tower Road in Winnetka and restored it to its original condition, adding two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a kitchen.

I was excited with how beautiful it was but learning the history of it was so cool. I was amazed to find out all that happened here so many years ago and here I am, using it as a background for blog photos...I'm sure Anita Burnham would be proud ;) 


SHOP THE LOOK:


P.S. Two of my recent favorite things? This blue leather jacket (Such a fun, different color!) and my plaid bag, a birthday gift from my Family. I spotted it here during one of our Wisconsin visits and couldn't take my eyes off it. I'm obsessed with the tartan print and it has large leather pockets adorning the front. I put it out of my mind because it had a rather large price tag but little did I know, my parents had purchased it and hid it in their car. It's handmade by a local artist from real Pendleton wool so it has a little extra wonderful. 



Do you ever visit surrounding areas to find something new?

Wearing:

Jacket: c/o Style & Co
Jeans: Old Navy (similar)
Sweater: Old Navy
Scarf: Old Navy (similar under $10)
Bag: The Christmas Barn (similar)
Hat: Purchased in Ireland (similar)
Gloves: Old (similar)

No comments:

Post a Comment