Monday, May 21, 2012

Closet Cleaning: Lisa

With less then a month until the launch of BISTM, here are some helpful tips for closet cleaning. I don't know about you, but I have tried on every piece of clothing in my closet in the past 6 months. If you have not done that, I strongly suggest you do so. It will blow your mind! Seriously. When I rotate my spring/summer with my fall/winter wardrobe, I make sure to try all items on. I do this for a few reasons: 

1. Sometimes what was so hot last year, is not that hot this year.


2. Since I've had 2 children, I have been every size between 2-14 in the past 4 years. There are for sure items that don't fit by the time the season comes back around. I am sure I am not alone in this. 


3. Have I worn said item in the past season? Okay, this is a big one! Sometimes I impulse shop and then never wear it. Then I hold on to it like the clothes hoarder I am and never want to get rid of it. Ummm, sell it!! If you think it's worth something or it still has tags on it, but you have not worn it in 12-18 months, get rid of it! It is taking up precious closet space after all. 


I don't know about you, but no walk-in closet for me as of yet. (one day.....one day....) so my closet space is a coveted thing.  I also have a very small coat closet by the front door so weeding out what is not being used is KEY!
(above: my closet, below: front door closet)


Organize everything! Every shoe, jewelry item, scarf, bag, and article of clothing should have a home. I am aware that sometimes it's going to be not as organized, but when it is, you wear things more often because can see what you actually own. I do this with not only my clothes, but my kids clothes as well!  Shoe racks, wardrobe racks, jewelry dividers for drawers, and jewelry cases are all good things! ;) They were made for a reason, use them!


Here is my jewelry case, wardrobe rack (that I holds new, C/O (courtesy of) items, and also pre-styled looks) and shoe rack (also c/o items) in the corner of my room. See, limited space, but I make it work! ;)






When in doubt, bins work just fine too.
Like I said above, I do not have a walk-in closet. Every spring and fall I put the corresponding clothing in bins that then reside in my laundry room for the season. It keeps my closet and room less cluttered! 

I hope this helps you get organized and ready for your next closet cleaning! 


#Lisa

2 comments:

  1. So organized! I really need to go through all my clothes too now baby #2 is here. Thanks for the tips Lisa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this... Lol. :) Beautiful!! :)

    Ccurlgirl.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete