Friday, May 12, 2017

Farmers Market Season | Best of Chicago & the Burbs

Summer is FINALLY on its way, which means it’s time for one of the best seasonal activities: Farmers Markets! I'm so excited, you guys...I look forward to them every year and luckily, they are super kid-friendly so I think it will be a fun experience for the little man too once he arrives. 

Shopping local has a variety of benefits – Not only are you supporting your community but Family farms where people work so hard year round. The markets offer both a healthy lifestyle and an eclectic offering of talent in the area. Vendor categories include everything from fresh fruits and veggies to flowers, homemade bread, jewelry, smoothies, jams, pet accessories and more. 

It's all about the experience. I love everything from the atmosphere to the “hometown feel,” and the live music. I feel like we spend so much of our time walking with our heads down or minds tuned out but the markets are a safe space where you feel happy to connect with others and I always enjoy starting my mornings this way.



I recently stumbled upon a list of Farmers Markets in the Western Suburbs, along with their schedules so I figured I would share that along with a few of my city favorites so you can add a few to your calendar.
  • Downers Grove Market: I may be partial because it's my hometown but no matter where you live, it's worth checking out. My cousin and I love getting up early and heading here for breakfast. If you’re hungry, you'll find tons of options on the spot including crepes, sandwiches, donuts, scones, smoothies, lemonade and iced coffee. We rarely make it out of there without two scones (to share, of course) and a bouquet of sunflowers that are almost as tall as we are...no exaggeration! They are unreal and an absolute must for brightening up the house.
  • Green City Market - Lincoln Park: This is one of my favorite stops in Chicago! It's the city's largest and first year-round sustainable farmers market which provides a marketplace for purchasing sustainably grown food and connecting farmers and local producers directly to chefs and the greater Chicago community. Green City Market compliments the market with robust educational programs through Edible Gardens, Club Sprouts, and Chef Demos. *TIP - I enjoy doing yoga at the zoo nearby and heading here after for a fruit smoothie and flowers! You can walk here from yoga so it makes for an awesome Sunday morning.

  • Highland Park French Market - NEW this year! Highland Park will offer three exciting experiences for food enthusiasts including the Food Truck Market, the Highland Park French Market and the Ravinia Farmers Market. I'm a huge fan of Ravinia (okay, and food trucks) so this news caught my eye right away. My Mom and I love visiting the northern suburbs during the holidays but these new attractions are a great excuse to get out of town and experience the area during a different season.


There are so many great resources to find your favorite Farmers Market this Summer! 
Here are a few more lists that may help you stumble upon something new:

What markets are your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment