Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A French Connection


The second I got dressed in this outfit, I felt like I should be walking the streets of Pairs, not the suburbs of Chicago ;) We all know about my love for stripes (seen here, here and here) but what I DIDN'T know is, what actually makes a striped shirt feel so french

The striped shirt was originally a naval sailor’s uniform, designed to help distinguish the sailors from the waves so you could find them more easily when they fell overboard. At the time, all the French navy hailed from Brittany, so the shirt was named the “Breton” shirt and displayed 21 stripes – one for each of Napoleon’s victories against the British.

Did you guys know this backstory? I love how the number of stripes represented each success and it's pretty cool how this staple has pretty much remained unchanged over the years...how you wear it is up to you, but this Parisian classic will never go out of style ;)





Speaking of my love for stripes, a quick letter to my sister-in-law...

Dear, Lisa: I have fallen in love with your striped turtleneck so if it doesn't make it back into your swap bag, please understand -- I've decided to keep it until further notice :) No, but seriously...this is one of those pieces that goes with EVERYTHING. The same weekend as these photos were taken, I also wore it with distressed skinnies and coral flats -- dress it up or down, tuck it in or not...either way, it's a must-have. Fine, I get it...you want your shirt back. Makes sense. I never had a sister growing up but I heard trading clothes for keeps is a real thing...Just saying

Okay, I can tell this is going to be harder than I thought so I started searching for a similar piece to add to my closet. 

Here are a few I have my eye on:



Wearing:

Top: Loft (old but very similar here)
Jeans: Shopbop - My FAVORITE flares!
Hat: Target (I love this similar one for Spring - It's on sale for under $20!)
Bag: Kate Spade (Also need this red one in my life)
Booties: Just Fab
Sunnies: Old Navy
Lipstick: Glominerals

No comments:

Post a Comment