Monday, March 20, 2017

Mom Monday: Mother-Son Date


I recently wrote about my mother-daughter date and how important it is to spend time with your children outside of the everyday routine we all get into as parents. My husband and I make it a priority and take turns taking them out separately. This time around, it was my turn to have a special day with the most special boy in my life, my son. I don't know about your kids, but my kids love spending one-on-one time with us. Maybe it's the age, but they love having these dates too and that alone is reason enough for me to clear a day for each of them as often as we can.  

My little dude was home from school the entire week leading up to our date (due to a double ear infection and a sinus infection), so we opted for a low energy plan. He has been talking non-stop about seeing the movie "A Dogs Purpose" so I knew that would no doubt be on our itinerary. For me though, I wanted to spend time hanging out too, so we decided to grab lunch on our way to the theater. My son's favorite food is a cheese burger, so we went out to get the biggest burgers we could find. The below photos is of my burger as my son is on a strict gluten free diet and his plate was a burger patty and a side of fruit. ;) 



We sat next to each other because he gets sensory overloaded very easily at crowded restaurants. He has autism and over the years we have found what works best for him and us. Having me close to him so he can put his head down when he is feeling overwhelmed is best for us, so that is what we did. 

We spent time talking about life and we played a rapid fire question game. He would ask me random questions and I would have to say the first thing that came to my mind. I was surprised at how many of his questions for me were about my happiness. Next, I asked him questions and I was surprised (not sure why!) at how logical he truly is. I asked him about his dream job (a scientist) and if he wanted kids. He said he just wanted one as that seems like a good number because kids, college, & cars cost so much. Plus that would leave him enough free time to spend at work and with his wife. UMMM....dude, you are eight, how do you have your entire life planned out?! One of the many reasons my boy is so special. He sees the world so different from anyone I've ever met. I thank God everyday I get to be his mom. What a journey we have been on so far! 

After we finished eating, we still had 40 minutes until the movie started so I asked him if he wanted to try to find ice-cream. Obviously yes mom! A quick google search later and we found a local place that made their own flavors. Little man had chocolate and I went with pistachio. Oh my yum! 


We made it to the movie just in time and as usual he lifted the arm rest up and proclaimed it snuggle time. Both my kids do this. I think that's why I've seen literally every children's movie...I go for their smiles and their snuggles! Right before the movie started I was able to sneak the last photo without him noticing. Can he just stay this age forever. I am raising such a sweet boy who just wants to hold his moms hand and watch movies. You are welcome to his future wife! ;)  


The movie "A Dogs Purpose" is so good you guys. I highly recommend seeing it, but also advise bringing tissues. My son loved it and as a science based brain had so many reincarnation questions. Which by the way he now believes all animals and possible people too (he will have to further investigate) are reincarnated. ;)
Do you ever set aside one-on-one time with your kids outside of the house? I can't wait for our next date as he wants to go go-cart racing! In other news my full outfit post will be on the blog Wednesday so stop back and check that out too if you'd like! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment