Memorial Day weekend is one of my favorite moments because not only is it the unofficial kickoff to Summer but we always spend it at the lake and it typically includes many seasonal firsts: First boat ride, first visit to our regular ice cream shop, first s'more making in the backyard and so on. This year's visit did not disappoint, as we filled every moment with things we've been waiting for all Winter. It almost felt like Summer was going to run out in a few days so we were on a mission to accomplish so many goals in a short amount of time. I think a lot of us in the Midwest can empathize with this because we ARE on a time clock, racing against the sunshine and its short lived visit so we try to make the most of every day.
Speaking of fun, I wore this dress to a lovelyal fresco dinner with the family complete with twinkling white lights, outdoor fires & a nightcap in the form of coconut ice cream. Eating outside is just one of my Summer requirements...and I mean EVERY MEAL possible (which drives my husband nuts -- "Soo, we can't eat indoors for the next 3 months?" -- Must I even have to answer this question?!) That said, it's hard to be mad about dining in nature up north because there are so many beautiful spots, especially if you're lucky enough to snag a spot on the water.
Are you thinking of visiting Lake Geneva soon?
Here are of my favorite places to wine & dine during the Summer months!
- Pier 290: This place is what alfresco dining dreams are made of - As a farm to table restaurant, the food here is unique and always fresh but the scenery is what truly makes it special. Both outdoors and in are adorned with re-purposed antique nautical pieces, various doors and fixtures recovered from all over the area. The outdoor area is half table seating and half Caribbean-like sand with beach chairs, offering front row access to the lake. All you need is a drink in hand!
- Cafe Calamari - A Williams Bay staple with an Italian menu that's sure to please Family members straight off the boat. Their famous table side tossed salad is amazing, I can't get enough of the dressing. Luckily you can purchase a bottle before you leave and trust me, you'll be dying to!
- Carvetti's - Located in downtown LG, this rustic-inspired spot doesn't stand out from the street but impresses upon outdoor arrival with a huge patio and great drink specials. Walk to the pack and you stumble upon a SECOND outdoor patio with tiki huts and colorful lights...planning a party? This is your place
- Gordy's - We have been dining here reguarly since acquiring the house 19 years ago (P.S. that makes me feel old!) and you can always count on a good time in this nautical setting right next to the lake in Fontana. Casual fare and dress (come in your suit!) make this the perfect lunch/happy hour spot...their build your own bloody mary bar is a favorite of ours.
- Mars - This place is TRUE Wisconsin - It's been around since the 1920's but has the feel of a 1950's super club with dark decor and a piano bar complete with singalongs. At first it seems dated but it's filled with charm, fun and an outdoor deck overlooking Lake Como (not to far from LG).
P.S. Big thanks to my (self-proclaimed Instagram husband) who graciously took these photos...
and mocked my poses along the way ;)
P.S. If you're looking for some fun ways to explore Lake Geneva, stay tuned for my piece on Parasailing in the next issue of Lake & Country Magazine!
Sandals: c/o Sole Society
Purse: c/o Sole Society
Sunnies: Zero UV (sold out but very similar here)
Necklace: E Street Denim (almost identical)
Lipstick: Glominerals "Crush"