Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Poppin' in Pineapple | ASOS Maternity Dress


Welcome to week 35 of sharing my body with baby boy A! Time has absolutely flown by -- It feels like years ago that we shared the big news with our parents on Christmas morning. I suppose part of that is because I didn't really "feel" pregnant for the first half and I wasn't obviously showing until 4 or 5 months...for a while there, it just looked like I had eaten a few too many ice cream sundaes (which I had!), but during the last 2 months, this belly expanded big time, making room for my growing boy and preparing for the main event. I will say, getting dressed got significantly harder over the past few weeks (and feeling cute/chic isn't always easy to come by), but I DID invest in a few Summer maternity staples to hopefully get me through the last few weeks and the beginning of the warm days including this OTS pineapple dress (currently on sale!). It's a jersey material so it's super soft and breathable, not to mention one of my favorite prints for Summer. 

I did get a lot of use out of my regular clothes during the first few months but as time went on, I found maternity styles to be much more comfortable and flattering. I'm definitely a fan of body-hugging looks with a belly instead of buying regular dresses in a few sizes up - tighter clothing still allows you to show off your waistline instead of making you look boxy and larger all over so I have been wearing a lot of ruched tanks and bodycon dresses. Plus, we do plan on having more children so the way I see it, there's nothing wrong with building a reasonably sized versatile maternity wardrobe you will undoubtedly visit again (or share with pregnant friends through the years!).


SHOP THE LOOK:


CURRENTLY:

In addition to my wardrobe, my feelings and routines are ever changing lately so I figured I'd share a little "belly briefing" of life currently...

MOOD: Excited! Our baby shower is coming up and the amazing women in my Family have been hard at work on it for months. I remember the night they all got together at my Mom's house to discuss the theme, divide up responsibilities and of course, dine on a homemade pasta meal a la Lynda. They skyped me during their visit and I felt so loved knowing they were all together working on something special for us. Can't wait to share some photos with you guys (UPDATE >> It was AMAZING!)

MIND: Busy. On overload, actually. In addition to it slowly sinking in how close we are to becoming parents, there has been so much going on. My husband had major surgery to repair his torn ACL and meniscus about 3 weeks ago which means we have 3(ish) weeks left until he can begin to start walking without his crutches. It has been a trying time for us, that's for sure -- Not only do I feel so bad that he has to spend his well-earned Summer vacation in a brace and on crutches but I've been doing my best to help him with everything he needs which meant a lot of going up and down the stairs many times a day and my preggo belly isn't always the easiest shuffle around. He also can't drive for a little while yet so I have been taking him to his PT appointments and anywhere else he needs to go which I know is frustrating for him to lose that independence but he's taking it like a champ and making great progress. On the bright side, it has allowed us to spend a lot of time together, with both of us in a very tender state nonetheless so I think we've truly gotten to understand the feeling of "in sickness" as well as in health and it's made me feel even closer in our relationship. 

ANTICIPATING: Our 4th of July Wisconsin trip! It's my most cherished weekend every Summer and I'm so glad the baby's due date is far enough off to allow us to enjoy our annual traditions without any worry (fingers crossed!). Counting down to 5 days of sunshine, good food, great company, amazing views and time spent at my favorite place on earth.

BODY: Honest thoughts? Some days I look in the mirror and think, wow. I feel amazing for nourishing a human life for 9 months and what a beautiful sight it is to see him growing (healthily) inside of my belly, something I've thought about my whole life. It makes me feel like wonder woman. Other days, I look at posts like this and think, OMG...How was this last Summer and good Lord, I can't wait to find my way back to that person. My workouts have always been such a big part of my life and a huge stress reliever, so not being able to participate in those activities (hot yoga, long runs) has been quite an adjustment for me. I think that routine is the biggest thing I'm looking forward to having back. It just makes me feel like me.

MISSING: Sleeping on my stomach (I CAN'T WAIT TO DO THAT AGAIN!). Cold deli sandwiches whenever I want. Jeans without panels. Bra's that fit normally. Strapless bras. Un-swollen feet. Bending over without groaning. Riding bikes. Grapefruit Shandy. Mimosas. Red wine. Rolling over in bed without feeling like a beached whale. 

CHERISHING: The baby's movements - To me, this is one of the coolest parts about being pregnant and it gets even more exciting towards the end. Sometimes they still feel like little heartbeats but other times, they're so strong, they shock me, especially when I look down and see little ripples moving across my stomach. It's so weird to be going about your normal day and then all of a sudden feel feet or elbows having a dance party inside of you...life is crazy! These moments make me feel very connected to this boy of mine and I know I will miss them once he enters the world.





Whew! That was a long one but it feels really good to document some feelings. It will be fun to look back on these things months or years from now and remember all the little moments. 

Thanks for reading! Xo

Wearing:

Jacket: J. Crew
Purse: c/o Sole Society - Similar
Sandals: c/o Sole Society
Sunglasses: Target


No comments:

Post a Comment